What are Age Spots?
Age spots are generally caused by ultraviolet rays. When your skin is exposed to UV rays, extra melanin is produced to help to protect the deeper layers of your skin. Age spots appear as flat, dark brown spots. They vary in size and shape.
Age spots are harmless, and you do not have to worry about them forming into cancer. You will generally see age spots appear on places that have had the most sun exposure, such as: the back of your hands, forearms, face, shoulders, and upper back. Those who have fair skin and who spend a lot of time in the sun are those who will generally be looking for some type of age spot removal.
Best Age Spot Removal Technique
The best age spot removal technique is prevention. Simply apply sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun and stay away from tanning beds and any other sources of UV rays. Staying away from the sun is important in preventing age spots.
Surprising Tip for Preventing Age Spots
Did you know that the majority of the sun damage to your skin comes from driving or riding in a car? Your car windows actually prevent the UVB light from coming in, but it does not prevent UVA light. UVB light is the light that causes a burn, while the UVA light is responsible for sun damage and aging skin. Consider having a UVA protecting film installed on your car windows.
More Invasive Age Spot Removal Techniques
While there are many different types of age spot removal treatments, aside from prevention, the safest and less invasive age spot removal techniques are natural. Some age spot removal treatments can involve freezing, acids, skin sanding, electric needles, etc. While these may provide quicker results, they could have more side effects and can be more damaging to your skin.
7 Natural Age Spot Removal Techniques
1. Papaya Skin – Apply the fleshy side of a papaya skin to the age spots for 15 to 20 minutes once a day.
2. Aloe Plant Juice – Apply fresh juice from an aloe plant twice a day.
3. Garbanzo Beans – Mash 1/3 cup of garbanzo beans. Mix it with a tad bit of water to form a paste. Apply to your age spots and keep on until it dries. It should begin to crumble off.
4. Onions and Garlic – Extract the juice and apply. You can also slice them and rub them directly onto your age spots. The acid in onions and garlic will shed the outer layer of skin. These age spots should begin to disappear within a couple of months.
5. Cucumber – You can lighten age spots with fresh cucumber juice. Stay away from direct sunlight after applying.
6. Orange Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar – Mix 1 teaspoon of orange juice with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Rub the mixture on your age spots.
7. Nutgrass Root – This root reduces melanin production in your skin by up to 40%. It has been scientifically proven to naturally and safely lighten your skin, which will cause the age spots to fade and then disappear.t out.